Jeremiah 29: 11-14

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you."

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A Special Evening

Last night we went to the MISD school board meeting for Connor to receive his award. They took a few minutes to explain the award...after receiving nominations from the teachers, the superintendent chooses a student from each elementary school in our district. The Superintendent Star is awarded to students with exceptionally great character and conduct...an overal super student. So, last night the winners from each of the elementary schools were awarded with a trophy.

Now, when we first arrived, there were people walking all around, talking with each other. A sweet woman, named Liz, came to introduce herself. She congratulated Connor and explained to him what would take place. Mr. Newsome would call their name and what school they were representing. At that time, he would go to the front to receive his trophy, shake Mr. Newsome's hand, and then stay at the front until all of the students from the other schools were awarded. Then they asked that they remain at the front so they could have their picture taken. Their pictures will appear in the Fort Worth Star Telegram and the Mansfield News Mirror.

So, once the meeting was ready to begin, the room got quiet and all of the board members took their places at the front. The room was PACKED with people. And Connor turned to Michael and I and said, "Mom, I don't think I can go to the front to get my trophy 'cause I think my tummy is trying to make me sick."

So cute. How do you explain "butterflies in your tummy" to a first grader? We just told him he was nervous and that he would be up there with other students! And, he did GREAT!

This is our Superintendent, Mr. Newsome at the beginning of the meeting.
He is presenting Connor with his trophy, but you can't see Connor's face (he's in the blue shirt with white stripes).
Now he's checking out his new trophy!

Here's all the winners with Mr. Newsome.
Connor is pictured here with Mrs. Varner, his principal (on the right) and Mrs. Waddell, his teacher (on the left). It was really sweet of both of them to come to the meeting to show their support for him! He has been truly blessed this year with a very special teacher!
After the meeting, we told Connor we would take him to eat wherever he wanted...and you guessed it...CFA. So, here's the family pics after dinner.

Uncle B, Grabbie (notice CFA tea in hand), Granddad, and Granda.

And here's the proud parents.
Wow! God is so amazing. It was an awesome evening. We are so grateful to his teachers. We are so proud of our son. And words cannot adequately descibe the joy in my heart.
I wish I had an up close picture of his trophy. It's a star...so cute. It even has his name and school on it. But, his principal asked him to take it to school today, so it's not home at the moment. Maybe tomorrow.
Photobucket

No comments: